Appreciation!

Discussion about anything and everything.
TiGgEr

Appreciation!

Post by TiGgEr » 6 years ago

Appreciation!

So this is a little post about reminding people to appreciate the moderators at disabilities-r-us, but not in the sense you may think, I'm not asking you to praise them, to thank them or to bestow gifts upon them, although I really am grateful for everything they do, volunteering their time unconditionally with nothing in return except grief when they have had to moderate a situation... but more in the sense of I want to remind everybody that they are also people too, people with disabilities and problems just like you, and they are not infallible cold, power hungry robots just waiting to pounce!

I want to remind everybody that they have health problems, life problems, sleep problems or some variation of problem, I am sure you get the picture, yet every day they still manage to volunteer their time to help ensure things run smoothly and people feel safe despite the problems and despite how they might be feeling!

We are all volunteers at disabilities-r-us, giving our time freely to something we love and believe in, this awesome little community we have, but sometimes it seems that people treat the moderators with some amount of separation like they are different in the sense that they are without disabilities and problems, maybe it's from the position they are in where they appear to be stronger because of being authoritarians? So if you ever see one having a bad day, and this is the point I have been trying to get to, if you know one is having a hard time, just try to remember that maybe they need somebody to talk to, somebody to listen, maybe be a little more mindful of these things before engaging in drama, or interfering with a situation they are already handling ;-) (believe me helping is not always helpful, a moderator is more effective when allowed to moderate without everybody joining in)

Just try to remember these things if you do see them expressing they are having a hard time with life or health or whatever, and remember that even though I said this is not about thanking them or giving them praise (although we should) disabilities-r-us would not be able to run without them, it is a collaborative effort where each cog from Daniel and what he does behind the scenes, the things that I do (TiGgEr), the moderators, and even you our members form part of something bigger than I think most of us realise and we should remember to do our part to ensure as a community everything and everybody is well and looked after!

Thank you, to and from the volunteers at disabilities-r-us!

PL-Finland

Post by PL-Finland » 6 years ago

Well said.

susan

Post by susan » 6 years ago

well said and a thank you to all involved in running and upkeep of the site

lily

Post by lily » 6 years ago

So well said. I, too, wish that some would realize that if there is a moderator present in the room and that there is a problem going on, that said moderator is well aware of the situation even if some think that they are not (for one reason or another, or because the moderator is momentarily AFK off getting something to eat, etc. Moderators need to eat and use the bathroom too). And unlike the rest of us, moderators cannot "IGGY" anyone; something I wish more chatters would utilize. Maybe there would be less "drama" in the room if some actually used this function, rather than just complaining. Being a moderator of any (large) group of people is difficult, even for the most able-minded and able-bodied, and sometimes decisions have to be made for the betterment of the group. That this site has been around for so long just shows how dedicated its founder, Daniel, and everyone else involved is in order to make it run as smoothly as it does.

Rainbow

Post by Rainbow » 6 years ago

that was well said only problem, Who's gonna follow that....... Someone who is always trying to control the situation when they aren't a Mod Or Admin.........it should be addressed....

lily

Post by lily » 6 years ago

So true, Rainbow. Once a whining brat always a whining brat. Or not. Never know someone's total story, so I also take that into consideration. But if someone just keeps going on and on about the same old stuff I begin to wonder just what they are getting out of it (other than annoying others that is :) )

Coll

Post by Coll » 6 years ago

Thank you TiGgEr for the reminder. Having been a mod in another room I know the difficulty and pressure you all face.

Thank you all for you dedication.