Loss of friends after disability

Looking for love or just new friends? This is the place to meet them and greet them.
Day21

Loss of friends after disability

Post by Day21 » 7 years ago

:-( It's been difficult not being able to keep up with you healthy friends.
predictably they leave bye and bye. Makes sites like these helpful.

Ragman

Post by Ragman » 7 years ago

My entire family determined that I must be faking it, so have not spoken to me for over 22 years.  They live on one continent,  I live on another, so they are gone to me,  I am gone to them.  People prefer not be friends with a man who twitches, drools and  can't speak properly, so  I have none, excepting  a doctor, and a woman named Joany. 
All of the ciber friends I have come from either here, or disability facebook groups.  It is something I have become accustomed to,  I do not like it, but that is what it is.
  The other problem I have is a medically proven lack of effective memory, which makes meeting  people somewhat pointless,  I have to interact with a person a long time, before  I will remember their name. 

Coll

Post by Coll » 7 years ago

Most of my friends have gradually faded away.  I'm fortunate that some have decided make a commitment call once a month or a few call weekly.
I was so happy to find this site to make new friends that won't feel awkward because my mind isn't what it was. 

hip

Post by hip » 7 years ago

True, true.
I need a ride there and back from orthopedic surgery Feb 8. Everyone I ask is enthusiastic about taking me till the excuse comes. Oh, I forgot, I'll be on vacation - sorry! I'll take you, if I'm not working! Or, you know I want to help, but I'm working.
I've had 13 surgeries and I believe no one want's to help cause they just don't want to get involved. Perhaps I've overextended my social help. Anyway, I have a few more weeks of asking. It's especially difficult for me because I was abandoned early in life and it triggers all the abandoned feelings of "where are you mommy?!" and "no one will ever be there to help me! This is deep stuff and it plays out in situations like I'm in currently.
Advice won't help. I'm just letting it out here. Thanks for listening.
Love and hugs to all my fellow sufferers, Hip.
Last edited by hip on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coll

Post by Coll » 7 years ago

Hipsteria,  I totally understand.  My husband has go in for them to on a brain surgery he last year.  We to find someone drove him and stay for up to eight hours until he can leave.  I'm unable drive so we are looking for volunteers. 

Cactus Jack

Post by Cactus Jack » 7 years ago

There are friends, and then there are friends.  Some people simply are not meant to be your "true" friends.  They are just there for a page or two, perhaps even a chapter, in your book of life.  Just the way it is.
“The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.” -Ross Perot