If you registered on or before August 25, 2017, you will need to reset your password. Your password reset confirmation will be emailed to you. If you do not receive it, please check your junk folder. Be sure to add [email protected] to your contact list so you do not miss out on important forum related emails. Disabilities-R-Us will never send you any unsolicited emails.

Spinal fusion surgery recovery.

Discussion about anything and everything.
Bobsingleton

Spinal fusion surgery recovery.

Post by Bobsingleton » 4 months ago

In October 2017, I had spinal fusion on C5 and C6. In April 2018, I had C6 and C7 joined. Today, I still have shoulder muscles that refuse to relax. The result is I am in pain daily.
I am concerned about being on pain meds for over a year. I am concerned about what I can do when my disability expires in October 2019.
I am too old for social security disability.
My question is whether or not anyone else may have had spinal fusion surgery that resulted in long lasting pain. I believe that my pain will eventually pass but it has yet to do so.
Bob Singleton
[email protected]
Charlotte NC

iamblessed2017

Post by iamblessed2017 » 3 months ago

Well I has spinal fusion surgery in 2013 they put 2 18 inch rods in my back to do a multi level fusion from a few crushed vertebrae starting at l4-5 s1 but any who I want you to know that every one is different and as for me I still suffer from pain daily . I was 27 when this happened and have come along way but I have never gotten my quality of life back that I was accustom to another words things I used to take for granted I dread doing things even fun things like going to the beach it sucks because I know I want to go but by the time I get there and walk I can't even enjoy it due to the amount of pain I'm in .I hope you have a good support system it helps a lot .I hope this helps and wish you a speedy recovery

Bobsingleton

Post by Bobsingleton » 3 months ago

Thank you. It does help. I am now living with pain in the back of my head every day. I do not expect this will change but perhaps I will be wrong.
Bob Singleton
[email protected]
Charlotte NC

ZL1

Post by ZL1 » 3 months ago

I had a spinal fusion at C-5 C-6. I remember waking up from the surgery, my surgeon was there and I said “ you fixed it” the pain relief was immediate. I did, and do have some reoccurring pain and numbness, but nothing like it was before surgery. Physical therapy is super helpful for me. Also taking a muscle relaxer is key. I think it’s fair to say that most fusion surgeries provide some, but not complete relief of symptoms. I still have a little pain and some loss of feeling ten years after the surgery. Cervical fusion work muck better than lumbar fusions. I would never fuse a lumbar level issue, they simply fail too often.

Good luck. I recommend physical therapy, stretching and Robaxin taken 3x daily and some excersize. My surgery was a success in my book. It just takes a long time to heal, especially if you are not actively treating or building the muscles surrounding the fusion. God luck, give it time, you will feel better.