Disability discrimination

Discussion about anything and everything.
Justice

Disability discrimination

Post by Justice » 8 years ago

I have attended church all my life.  I am not disabled but have always had friends that have had difficult struggles in their lives.  I am ashamed of what has happened at our local church that I am no longer attending because of.  The pastors wife , aka, worship leader will not let a handicap person play on the new handicapped accessible platform because she says that it is a distraction.  I just want people that have different difficulties in their lives to know that I don't support that attitude at all.  I am no longer attending that church and will continue to stand up for what is right!

daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel » 8 years ago

By leaving, it insures that nobody will know your story and there is no accountability.  Stay and bring this to the public eye.

Justice

It was spiritually killing me.  I have done everything I know to fix it.  I tell any of the congregation that ask me about it.  They don't agree but they like the pastor so they put up with his wife's actions.  I have written to the district office and board members about it.  I haven't spoke to my brother- in -law for months because he was on the board and won't do anything about it.  I even contacted a couple of lawyers but can't sue for disability discrimination in a religious setting because they say that the handicapped person can go somewhere else.  Nonsense!

Justice

Does anyone else think that it is offensive what this worship leader did?  The handicapped person had been on the worship team for 12 years but when the new handicapped accessible sanctuary was built the person was not allowed on the platform.

amannju

Post by amannju » 8 years ago

[quote="Daniel"]
By leaving, it insures that nobody will know your story and there is no accountability.  Stay and bring this to the public eye.
[/quote]

it's terrible what happened and people need to know! try mobilizing the community and speak out, maybe even write and open letter and see if you can get media interested.
form follows function

Justice

I have thought about writing to the paper. I worry that it will be my word against theirs.  Now that I have told some people the pastor and his wife are saying that they removed her because they thought her talents were in prayer.  They want her to be able to pray with people.  That is a total lie from what they told me.  They said that she was a distraction.  I feel like no ones cares about this issue except me.  This is an Assembly of God church.  I have emailed twice to the Illinois district and they will not return an email.  I had a  board member tell me that preachers scratch each others back. He said that district won't do anything!

Justice

If people that read this discussion and agree with me feel free to contact the Illinois District Council Assembly of God at Carlinville Illinois.  I don't have to say the church or pastors wife but they will know.  I hope that you have better response than me.  They ignore my emails!

ksa

Post by ksa » 8 years ago

Well, I just feel compelled to affiliate myself to that attitude, without being physically disabled myself.

Justice

Can you expand on your thoughts? 

Justice

Amen!  This handicap person is not a distraction.  She is an inspiration!  She worships God despite her pain.  She told me that when she plays it makes her forget her pain.  I told the pastor and his wife (who is the worship leader) that it is therapy for her to play and they showed no compassion at all!  I did hear back from the Illinois District Assembly of God and they said that they do not govern the local churches.  I am trying to decide the next move.

Justice

Yes.  It is a woman.  She wanted me to say something to the worship leader about putting her back on the platform.  After they would not I got upset.  She feels bad that it has caused anger so she just wants me to forget about it now and forgive the leader.  I am still angry that this pastors wife would do this!

Justice

We are in a small city of around 8000 people.  I know that the community  would not approve of this.  Pastors make you feel bad for gossiping but now I think it is so they can control the congregation!

Justice

I don't think I have yet but I must because it is biblical.  I have never disliked any so much in my life!

Justice

I will think of something that I can do to make people aware.  I have given the pastor and his wife plenty of time to repent and change this discrimination!

Justice

I have talked to her lots.  I quit playing keyboard.  I quit singing backup.  I wrote to the board members.  I wrote Illinois District Assembly of God.  I quit going to church there.  My parents quit going to church there.  Our tithes now go to another church where we attend now so financially it stung them.  I read in the bible about Pharoahs hardness and now I understand how leaders are very stubborn if they are questioned!