A slight rant.

Discussion about anything and everything.
Ragman

A slight rant.

Post by Ragman » 9 years ago

In the chat room, in a hospital, and in the street I have been chastised for regarding myself as a cripple. This has annoyed me beyond belief, because I am the person who is crippled, an old British word in common use in Scotland. If someone else does not wish to called, or known as a cripple, that is their choice, as is it is my choice to so regard myself. I despise political correctness. Completely despise the re-wording of things so as not to create any offence, though I am clearly offended by the clap-trap that is called politely political correct speech. I am going to regard myself as a cripple, and will continue to do so, if this offends anyone, this is their problem - I will not call them a cripple, I do not regard anyone as such - I cannot make that distinction, But... I can make such a distinction in myself. Compared to my pre-morbid condition, I am crippled; therefore I am a cripple. I will cease frequenting the chat-room before I ever change my regard for myself.  I am too old to learn the bullshit that passes for language nowadays.

daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel » 9 years ago

I agree with you 100%.  No matter what word is used, there is always someone willing to step forward and be offended on someone else's behalf.  You should have seen the hell I caught for once owning GimpWorld.com, which was a free email service for Disabilities-R-Us members.

Daniel

Cactus Jack

Post by Cactus Jack » 9 years ago

Ragman, don't let it get on ya.  Folks get ticked at me when I say I'm a cripple.  Oh well.  It's me, not them, their opinions don't mean shit to me. 

I have been evicted, fired, shot at, beaten, sexually assaulted, raped, jailed, and I'm sure I could findd a few more crimes I've been victim of SPECIFICALLY because I'm a cripple.  And people are offended that I call myself that?  To hell with them.  Until they have been through everything I've been through, with the same impairments, they ain't nothing to me.

Keep your chin up Ragman!
From one crip to another....
“The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.” -Ross Perot

Ragman

Thank you Daniel and Cactus Jack - I sometimes become overwhelmed by the crap that people push at me. 

raddad

Post by raddad » 9 years ago

I get it.  I agree with you all.  A local "ahem" nonprofit group here makes tons of money for their pockets while parading people in public places to abolish words.  Lets rewrite every law book, law, medical book every few years because of a word used.

After one local parade and the pictures gloating about success I gave this response which was promptly removed.

"I think it is great we worry about bad words rather than the oppression,
depression, exclusion, living on incomes 2/3 below poverty and all the
organizations using people as a cash crop, stuffing the pockets of staff
while clients choose between eating for several days or seeing one movie. 
Staff drive shiny cars and take trips to Europe and cruises while clients
attempt to budget in a few public transit rides.  I'm fine with you calling
me any bad word providing I don't have to live like a 3rd worlder in a fascists
oppressive state being marketed and harvested like a sugar beet."

Ragman

Today I met three people, who were less than happy at my own description of my being.  When asked what was 'wrong' with me, I answered with a smile, "I am crippled." Shock, horror and disgust spread on their faces. I left their company and rolled away happily. I am still crippled, making me; a cripple.